Being the naive first-time parents that we are, we sent Graeme to school yesterday after discovering red welts on his legs. Because they were contained to just around his diaper, we assumed that his skin was just irritated, slathered some cream on it and sent him on his way. Not an hour after Matt dropped him off, the school called to ask if we knew that Graeme had hives. They really have a way of making us feel like delinquent parents. Matt explained we had noticed them, but weren't horribly concerned because Graeme wasn't showing any other symptoms or acting out of sorts. They informed us that they were certain it was hives (apparently office manager=doctor these days) and that they would keep an eye on it until we decided what to do and if it got worse they would let is know. Not to be ones to miss a hint, we got Graeme in with the doctor at 9am.
Shoutout to Southdale Pediatrics for getting us in for same-day appointments (even on Saturdays!) with the doctor of our choice all but one time we've gone in.
The doctor called it a classic case, although Graeme was one of the younger kids he's seen with a reaction like this. We've since suspended the amoxicillin -it turned out Graeme's ear infection is gone! So, with a stretch of three doctor appointments in as many weeks, we're hoping to put together a stretch of good health!
3 comments:
Poor Kiddo! and Evil Daycare people;( Not fun having someone making you feel inadequate all the time, How rude! You are doing what all first time parents do...punting;) We all do it, and there is no reason they should make you feel bad!
Oh poor Graeme! I'm allergic to Augmentin too (and tons of other anti-biotics). I took it for almost 2 weeks before I totally broke out in hives on every part of my body except my hands and feet. I looked so scary! Luckily steroids did the trick and got rid of them. Sophia had an allergic reaction to penicillin when she was younger but we didn't know until she broke out in hives. Don't worry, all first-time parents go through it! At least he's all better :) He looks so much like Matt!
I'm finding that it's more common that than I thought! Everyone that I've told has said, oh I am or know someone who is allergic to it too! Thankfully the rash was contained and went away within 24 hours of quitting the meds. And, we'll put your vote in the 'looks like Matt column'! It's totally 50/50 when it comes to what people say. I think it has a lot to do with who they spend more time with. My coworkers all think he looks like me, but our families think he looks like Matt. I think he's just a good combo of both : )
Post a Comment